Hazel and gang had a night cycling outing yesterday and I'd previously really wanted to go, but the more I thought about it, the more I realised that I can't possibly go for it or else I would die for both my lesson on Saturday, as well as the one on Tuesday. Schedule is just so tight somehow... Hazel was rather reluctant to let me not go for the outing because she really wanted me to go. Well, in the end I was really really glad that I had taken the decision not to go for the night cycling, because even before 8 pm, I had already developed a splitting headache (but still practised through it because I thought that I would have a duet practise with hy today, which didn't materialise because hy messaged me that she had an important doc's appointment. Ah well.) Plus it became the 1st day of period for me. It was late btw... I was waiting for it already in mid-July. Ah well. I'd rather my periods came at longer intervals so that I can forget about it most of the time, hehe.
After I got into my room again (yesterday on Thursday), I realised that I forgot to bring a ton of stuff. Chief among them was the CD player which I'd promised Gulia to bring to the studio. Sigh. I also forgot other important stuff like my slippers, so when I showered I had to leave my shoes outside, with a wad of tissue paper outside for me to dry my feet and put them into my shoes, the moment I stepped out of the shower.
I moved the bed to the position that I had adopted for it in my 1st year, because if you just leave the bed right in the middle of the room it makes the room look really small. Sure I miss the huge table at shears hall which allowed me to be hugely disorganised by putting everything just on the table without actually organising them together, but I've been managing pretty well so far. In fact, I think that I might actually be more organised now than compared to my 1st year. Then again, I'm already 2 years older (and hopefully more than 2 years more mature) and have more awareness as well as control over my body's natural impulses and inclinations (i.e. being lazy and undisciplined). I'm going to have my own breakfast arrangement with containers and all, so let's hope it works. I don't really like the cereal, even though it's rather nice and crispy. Oh well. Can't get choosy.
As a result of that Thursday mistake of not bringing a ton if this and that to the hostel, I had to go home today to fetch my stuff. Which was when I decided to meet my (by far) favorite cousin Irene at the same time that I went back home (because she lives very close to me) and together go to Kinokuniya for their 20% discount for cardmembers. The shop has a great selection of books, most of which you won't be able to get anywhere else in singapore. No wonder Irene loves going there.
Since it was lunchtime when we went, we decided to eat in the cafe in the shop. We got to reminiscing about the last time we had visited Kinokuniya together, and Irene concluded that the last time we came was when I was still in upper sec. Boy do I recall that episode vividly. I was in the 'learn Norweigian' phase, hehehe. Which makes one wonder how long this period will last. I think it will last a lot longer than the Norweigian though, because Italian I will be learning in school, and for a period of 2 semesters too, so it should be good. I got 3 books in total today, 1 about Mao's Great Leap Forward, and 2 books on Italian, one dictionary, as well as a workbook for exercises. The workbook was a little crumpled at the edge and Irene pointed it out and said that we should go back and change for a nicer copy. I said I don't mind because that one is a workbook that is going to be thrown around anyway so I might as well, you know, do them a service. Also I suspect that with a book that's too pretty I might not want to bring out the workbook to study. Irene wasn't too comfortable with me buying a crumpled book and later on when we went back around that area she said, "Can you go back and exchange it for a nicer one, for the sake of your cousin who has OCD?" I said, "Ok lor, I'll do it to make you happy" and she was going, "Err..." I guess she didn't expect that, or maybe she didn't realise how far I would go sometimes to please others.
Afterwards, after we had parted, my mind went back to it and realised that actually, most of us have 'OCD', or what we consider as having OCD. For Irene it might be having a very pretty book with an immaculate cover. For C it might be meticulously visiting every canteen in the campus the same number of times, or toasting bread for exactly 7 minutes. For another friend, GY, it's about following her daily personal timetable in the exact order, i.e. A, B then C, and if something happens that hinders her completion of B, she's stranded there until B is completed, and she won't start on C even if she can. For me it's about using erasers in the exact way (only 1 side) or not using the eraser on the back of mechanical pencils, or brushing my teeth for 30 minutes a day (alright, that's not a compulsion, just something that I compel myself to do every night, although on some days my self-discipline fails :p). The point is that we all have our own so called 'compulsions', which I prefer to call as pet peeves, most of whom don't have any logical basis at all, but just makes us really upset if things don't go our way. Most of the time these pet peeves are harmless but we have to be careful sometimes and try our best to compromise sometimes, in the process suppressing our own natural reactions to things. I don't really get why we get pet peeves though. Maybe I can find out more about it from a psych student... :P
--------------------------------------------------
Yesterday night, I was trying to be friendly to people in the cluster, so I said hi to all the people whom I met. The first was a girl who was looking at her phone. After saying hi to her rather loudly (well I naturally almost always speak loudly anyway :P) she looked up at me, then promptly looked down again at her phone and walked past me, without giving me any sign that she had seen or heard me at all. To her credit, she might have smiled or something, which I wouldn't be able to see because I wasn't wearing my specs at the time. The 2nd time was this morning after getting out of the shower, when I said hi to someone else, who also ignored me. Sigh. I did get lucky tonight though. After being ignored by 2 people that I said hi to, I finally got a reply from someone today. I think her name is Umbika which I think is actually quite a nice name. She's from India but has been in singapore for a few years (haven't found out exactly how long though) and she's studying chemical engineering. Wow. Take my hat off to that. All the numbers would just kill me, though I wouldn't mind chemistry too much :P She stays in M, the 2nd door away from me so well we'll see I guess.
The excitement to get back to school is permeating through everyone at YST. I think I pushed myself too hard today though... After Gulia pointed out my mistakes on Monday: I am HUGEly guilty of what on the piano would be known as the 'broken finger' syndrome. So I spent today trying to get rid of it in my left 3rd finger and now my wrist is really tired, so I think I shall stop typing here and get to sleep, there's chamber/studio class tomorrow at 10 so I have to wake up at 8 or something...
No comments:
Post a Comment